Did we get fat or fit during lockdown?
Neither. We fell into the usual trap of the mediocre and quietly poodled along during the Pandemic. Thankfully we were safe and well, but I view the approaching end of lockdown with a spate of mild anxiety and trepidation.
To help, we thought it would be a good idea to come up with a list of events and things that represent unfinished business from the last couple of years. Either through life getting in the way, that darned virus stopping our social plans or pure laziness.
- Isle of Wight Ultra Challenge in 2022.
- Testway Ultra in 2021.
- Beer marathon in Liege in 2022.
- Steyning Stinger marathon in 2022.
- Entering a triathalon.
- Pre-race beers.
- During-race beers.
- Post-race beers.
- Eating before, during and after the running.
- How many Parkruns can we do?
Admittedly most of that list involves imbibing or eating something. All is as it should be.
Separately, a few things happened over lockdown that I took personally. Some could say I’m holding a grudge…?????
- 5k training programmes. 5k training sucks.
- Just training and no racing. Training is the worst.
- Coronavirus in general.
- Costa coffee owes me a coffee (this was actually a while ago, but it still hurts).
Of all the distances, I find 5k the most unpleasant and the hardest to crack. Maybe the second half of 2021 will be different? The other items are too personal to provide more detail or are rampantly self-explanatory (stupid Costa).
It’s good to have a list of things to do. It helps you motivate yourself, plan, focus and breakdown seemingly difficult problems into digestible actions. Or, as per usual, we’ll turn up like always with no training and without a hope. I might be getting a little old for this approach though!
Found this interesting? Listen to more here.